The Red Kite Residency Program is our in-school class offering for classrooms with children on the autism spectrum. Our curriculum includes a number of theatre games, tactile experiences, and music integration in both turn-based and group activities.
Red Kite Drama Time is an adaptive theater program for young people on the autism spectrum and other neurodiverse learners. The primary pillar of our curriculum is social-emotional learning (SEL), utilizing sensory drama games to engage each student’s ability to work within a group and explore their emotional expressivity and understanding. Our classes engage in creative play and sensory experiences to encourage students to connect with their unique body, voice, imagination, and with the community around them.
The main goals of this program include: imaginative play, improved communication, facial emotion recognition, turn-taking and eye contact. This program is inclusive for children without language and limited mobility. Each class is 45 minutes in length.
Important info for a successful program:
- Classrooms are limited to 15 students
- There needs to be a minimum of 2 classroom teachers participating
- CCT will have 2 teaching artists (trained by theatre professionals and special educators specializing in autism spectrum disorder), at each of the 45-minute sessions
This residency can be offered in tandem with two additional programs:
- Professional Development for CPS teachers. This training empowers teachers to reinforce the skills that students learn during Red Kite Residencies
- A free viewing of one of our Red Kite Adventure performances! This is an interactive theatrical experience specifically designed for children on the autism spectrum
To register for a Red Kite Residency, please fill out the inquiry form below and we will contact you shortly.