In 2017, we began a new chapter by transforming the former 12th District Police Station in the West Loop into one of Chicago’s leading arts and community destinations, as diverse as our city and as unique as its children.
• The Station is a former police station, built-in 1948, believed to be designed by Paul Gerhardt, Jr.
• We purchased the building from the City of Chicago for $1; additional project funding came in the form of a $5 million grant from the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity and many individual donors.
• We broke ground Dec 12, 2015, after the building closed as a police station in 2012.
• A flexible, 149 – seat studio theatre occupies The Station’s former jail cell block.
• Wheeler Kearns Architects remodeled the building, and Pepper Construction served as the project’s general contractor.
• The project was a 2017 Finalist in the Urban Land Institute Vision Awards for Real Estate Development.
• The former police station was featured in Chicago Fire (season 1, episode 23).
• Awarded LEED Gold status
Thank you to our many generous donors for their support!
State of Illinois • City of Chicago
The Leland Family • The Pritzker Family Foundation
IFF • The Murphy Family • The John & Kelly Waller Family
Anonymous • Northern Trust • The Saltiel Family
League of Chicago Theatres • The Neveux Family
Michael & Pamela Gordon Family Foundation • The Hughes Family
The Lavin Family • Michigan Avenue Real Estate Group • The Nolan Family