Bring Red Kite to your school | Apply by December 8!
Red Kite Drama Time is an in-school drama residency for young people on the autism spectrum and other neurodiverse learners. The primary pillar of our curriculum is social-emotional learning (SEL), utilizing sensory drama games to engage each student’s ability to work within a group and explore their emotional expressivity and understanding. Our classes engage in creative play, drama games, and sensory experiences to encourage students to connect with their unique body, voice, imagination, and with the community around them.
The main goals of this program include: imaginative play, greater confidence in communication skills, facial emotion recognition, turn-taking, and collaboration. This program is inclusive of children who communicate verbally or non-verbally.
Chicago Children’s Theatre provides:
- Eight 45-minute long sessions, provided to selected CPS cluster classrooms at no cost
- Two teaching artists, who are theatre professionals trained by experts in creating accessible drama classrooms
- Engaging units that use stories as a jumping off point for exploring identity and community through multi-sensory drama
- Accessible visual materials for all lessons (e.g., visual schedule, choice boards, visuals for theatre concepts)
- A ton of fun for students during their school day!
Red Kite Drama Time partners directly with CPS Diverse Learner teachers to deliver quality programming to cluster classrooms across Chicago. Your application must include 2-4 individual cluster classrooms at your school. All applicants for Spring 2024 Drama Time Residencies must be:
- A lead teacher in a CPS cluster classroom.
- Applying as part of a teacher team from multiple classrooms at your school.
Applications Open – November 10-December 8, 2023
School Visits & Interviews Conducted with Finalists – January 10-19, 2024
All Applicants Notified of Status – February 2, 2024
Residency Begins – March 2024
Red Kite Drama Time Residency | Spring 2024 Application
"*" indicates required fields